ASSISTANT CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR
SLSCO, Ltd, one of the premier rapid response and long-term disaster recovery firms in the nation, is seeking an experienced Assistant Construction Inspector to join our team. The Company’s primary focus is rebuilding, rehabilitating and elevating homes throughout NYC that were damaged by Superstorm Sandy.
The Assistant Construction Inspector will be responsible for performing physical inspections of construction work pursuant to applications filed with the Department of Buildings. Document inspections for these applications to involve the erection, alteration, and repair of structures throughout the city.
· This position will report to an Appointed Construction Inspector.
· Assisting Inspectors with projects to maintain organization, planning and scheduling to meet tight deadlines.
· Ability to build strong working relationships with co-workers, subcontractors, homeowners, and vendor stakeholders having the capacity to provide assistance with solving problems.
· Effectively communicate with applicants, contractors (builders), SLS Project team and Project stakeholders.
· Inspect jobs per approved policies/procedures, plans, change orders or revisions, daily logs, sign-in sheets & Safety POCs.
· Maintain positive relationships with all program stakeholders.
· Co-ordinate the feedback as directed by supervisors to all parties involved in the project, which include the contractors.
· Provide timely notifications to management of any schedule deviations.
· Monitor contractor compliance with site safety requirements and promptly report any unsafe conditions.
· Ensure project documents are completed, collected and signed in a timely manner.
· Perform daily, weekly, monthly reporting and data collection duties as assigned by management team.
· Review plans, and inquire as needed if questions arise, regarding compliance with program standards, codes regulations and local ordinances prior to initiating building projects.
· Inquire as needed if construction efforts seem to deviate from plans, or if there are compliance issues in contrast to program standards and/or DOB regulations.
· Conduct periodic monitoring and inspections of construction sites to ensure program compliance.
· Verify corrections were made on issued NCR notices when required.
· Inspect systems as directed to ensure compliance to plans.
· Conduct milestone payment inspection, and complete associated documentation; take photographs as required.
· As directed, draft reports of construction findings, and issue reports to team.
· Maintain daily logs, and associated documentation, related to daily field inspections.
· Issue written findings related to site activities to individuals and companies as directed by management.
· Various other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management preferred.
· Minimum 1 year inspecting building construction work
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Knowledge of safety standards is essential.
· Effective time management and organizational skills.
· Capacity to handle pressure on a daily basis.
· Willingness to travel extensively across the construction sites (if needed).
· Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel.
· Take charge attitude with ability to work independently.
· Bi-lingual a plus.
· HUD CDBG or HUD CDBG-DR experience preferred.
· Minimum OSHA 10hr certification or higher preferred. Trained in fall protection, confined space, and site safety.
Hours: 40-50 per week