SLS CO, Ltd, one of the premier rapid response and long-term disaster recovery firms in the nation, is seeking an experienced Construction Inspector to join our team. The Company’s primary focus is rebuilding, rehabilitating and elevating homes throughout Staten Island damaged or destroyed by Superstorm Sandy.
The Construction Inspector will be responsible for performing technical inspections of construction work pursuant to applications filed with the Department of Buildings. These applications involve the erection, alteration, and repair of structures throughout the city. The inspector is to determine if construction work is being done safely and in conformance with approved applications, plans, and specifications in accordance with the NYC Construction Code, Zoning Resolution, or other related building laws enforced by the Department of Buildings.
· This position will report to the project Construction Manager
· Effectively communicate with applicants, contractors (builders), and team members.
· Inspect jobs per approved policies/procedures, plans, change orders or revisions.
· Maintain positive relationships with all program participants.
· Co-ordinate the feedback as needed to all parties involved in the project, which include the contractors and Construction Manager.
· Provide timely notifications to Construction Manager of any schedule deviations.
· Monitor contractor compliance with site safety requirements and promptly report any unsafe conditions.
· Ensure project documents are completed, collected and signed in a timely manner.
· Perform daily, weekly, monthly reporting and data collection duties as assigned by management team.
· Various duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management preferred.
· Minimum 3 years of construction experience with at least 2 of those years to include managerial/supervisory experience.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Thorough knowledge of legal and safety standards is essential.
· Effective time management and organizational skills.
· Capacity to handle pressure on a daily basis.
· Willingness to travel extensively across the construction sites (if needed).
· Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel.
· Take charge attitude with ability to work independently.
· Bi-lingual a plus.
· HUD CDBG or HUD CDBG-DR experience preferred
· Minimum OSHA 10hr certification or higher preferred
Hours: 40, permanent