Staten Island, NY
SLS CO, Ltd, one of the premier rapid response and long-term disaster recovery firms in the nation, is seeking an Accounting Specialist to join our team. The Company’s primary focus is rebuilding, rehabilitating and elevating homes throughout Staten Island, NY that were damaged or destroyed by Superstorm Sandy.
- Perform day to day financial transactions including verifying, classifying, computing, posting and recording accounts receivable data
- Assist in preparation of bills and invoices including all Program required back-up materials
- Review vendor invoices and contractor pay applications thoroughly to ensure billings are in accordance with contracts.
- Analyze and investigate billing discrepancies
- Verify completeness and accuracy of lien releases submitted by the general and sub-contractors.
- Maintain necessary records for construction accounts payable.
- Correspond with general contractors, subcontractors, and other vendors regarding invoicing and payment inquiries.
- Process, batch, code and input invoices regularly into our accounting system and ensure appropriate back up is maintained.
- Ensure prior balances are accurate and all progress billings are paid timely.
- Attach pay applications with all back up and submit for various required approval signatures prior to submission for check processing.
- Obtain W-9s for new vendors.
- Research any vendor or project manager questions regarding payment status.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices.
- Reconcile payables, spreadsheet reconciliation, and other reporting and analysis as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; plus 3-5 years relevant work experience
- Solid understanding of basic accounting principles, fair credit practices and collection regulations
- Experience in government funded construction projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Capacity to handle pressure on a daily basis
- Proficiency in English language and in Microsoft Office applications
- Status-Exempt, Regular Full-time employee
- Work Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Location: 1 Edgewater Plaza, Staten Island, NY 10305, NY 10305